We are Anne and Tony Sutherland-Smith from Australia, travel bloggers at Pretraveller. We loved visiting South Korea as a family, and we subsequently decided to start writing articles to help other plan their trips to South Korea. We have also set up the South Korea Travel Planning Facebook Group which has grown quickly – and is a great way to help people plan their trips!
We look forward to helping you plan your visit to South Korea. We’ll help you visit all of the sights and have a great time!
Please subscribe below to join both our Facebook group and email list 🙂
Anne and Tony.
Join the South Korea Travel Planning Facebook Group
You are also welcome to join our South Korea Travel Planning Facebook Group – it is a great resource to enable you to ask questions about your upcoming trip to South Korea!
Disclaimer: This website contains affiliate links. If you book after clicking on one of these links then we may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you.
Challenges Travelling in South Korea
Even with being experienced travellers and all of the research we had done for our first visit we were still caught out by many aspects of travelling in South Korea.
Not being speakers of the Korean language, we found the following:
- Learning how to use the public transport system was difficult, as you cannot use Google Maps in South Korea, plus the local map apps (KakaoMap and Naver) are not as intuitive as Google Maps. We literally spent hours trying to work out how to get around using public transport and working out how to book our tickets!
- Internet resources for South Korea were often mechanically translated to English, which meant that they were difficult to understand and we were regularly left with more questions we could not answer…
- We had not been able to do good homework on what to expect for Korean public holidays – and as a result probably had one of our worst days out to a theme park EVER due to the crowds, and the fact that we had not been able to work out how to purchase skip the queue passes…
- We had to miss out on visiting Busan due to a typhoon passing through – but actually then spent more time exploring Seoul which we really enjoyed! And we plan to visit Busan on a future trip…
We also managed to do some things right!
- We visited the Jinju Lantern Festival, and loved visiting a smaller town, the festival was lots of fun and our children really loved the local food scene and our very unique accommodation (image a penthouse with its own large warm swimming pool inside!)
- We really enjoyed trying out a traditional hanok stay in Gyeongju, and seeing the difference with a traditional Japanese ryokan.
- It was great to just immerse and try so many different local food options – we visited the Noryangjin Fish Market in Seoul and loved it, tried cheese rice in Myeongdong (yum but so not healthy…), Korean BBQ and Fried Chicken. And so much more!
South Korea Travel Planning Email List
We have set up up an email list to help people travel to South Korea – subscribe below to receive our periodic newsletter which includes travel planning information for South Korea, latest deals as well as a selection of the most popular articles from the Facebook Group. You can also receive additional emails to help you plan your trip to South Korea, as well as our pre-departure checklist to ensure you are ready to depart!